Queensland has registered a new coronavirus case in quarantine at home – a man in his forties who visited the northern beaches

Victorian health officials tightened their coronavirus rules news after asking people who had come to the state from New South Wales to self-isolate if they weren’t required

Strict border measures went into effect on Sunday evening banning anyone traveling from a “hot zone” or “red zone” in NSW from entering Victoria without exception

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) travel restrictions state that since the 11th December were “red zones” in Sydney or on the Central Coast, but arrived in Victoria before 11:59 pm on Sunday, just had to be tested and stay at home until they get a negative result

One of them was Luke Roberts of Tootgarook on the Mornington Peninsula, who was visiting a family in NSW last week and went to Sydney and the Central Coast shortly

When Sydney’s coronavirus cases began to climb, he paused his trip and moved his flight to Victoria from Sunday to Friday two days earlier to be careful

He was tested for coronavirus in Victoria on Sunday, received a negative result on Monday, and went to work on Tuesday according to health guidelines

But following a press conference on Tuesday in which Victorian Health Secretary Martin Foley said “anyone who has returned from the Northern Beaches, Greater Sydney or Central Coast must be tested and quarantined for 14 days”, said mr Roberts decided to call DHHS to check this

He was told to self-isolate for 14 days and was immediately sent home from work

“The escalated messaging was stressful not only for myself but also for my workplace as I work in a retail environment where I face customers and other employees,” he said

After Victoria’s coronavirus test commander Jeroen Weimar repeated the official advice yesterday, Mr Roberts decided again to call the DHHS to check this

“I continue to restrict my movements and monitor for COVID symptoms, but I’m glad I can have a late Christmas dinner with a family,” he said

A Melbourne hospital also wrote a number of people who had been to Sydney, incorrectly asking them to self-isolate for 14 days

Text messages sent by the Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) seen by the ABC shared people who tested negative for 14 days to self-isolate because they arrived from Sydney

“We have received reports that a number of people with a COVID-19 negative test result may have received a text message from a Melbourne subway hospital informing them that they are isolating for 14 days need to, “DHHS said in a statement

“Only those who have returned from the Red Zone (Greater Sydney / Central Coast) [after 11:59 PM on Sunday] are required to self-isolate at home for 14 days; others only need to isolate until they get negative test results

“We have contacted this hospital to correct the message error and they have confirmed that they will send a follow-up SMS with the correct instructions”

>

However, he hopes that further efforts will be made to ensure that messaging is accurate across all channels – the website, hotline, and press conferences – in order to avoid undue stress in the community

“Nobody wants to be the super spreader, I think people really want to do the right thing,” he said

“If I had been told [I had to isolate myself], I would actually have come to terms with it”

This service may contain material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN, and the BBC World Service that is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced

AEST = Australian Eastern Standard Time, 10 hours before GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)

Central Coast covid

World News – AU – “Nobody Wants to Be a Superspreader”: Victorians Returning From NSW Receive Conflicting COVID-19 Advice

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-24/coronavirus-travel-isolation-advice-confuses-people-nsw-victoria/13011548