South Australian health officials say there were no active coronavirus cases on the charter flight that carried some of the world’s leading companies taking players to Adelaide ahead of the Australian Open

Benoit Paire, the world # 29 who was one of 72 players who had been forced into a tough ban in Victoria for a flight to Melbourne on the same plane as someone who later tested positive for COVID-19, claimed , there would be a “positive case on the flight to Adelaide” ????

Paire also criticized tournament organizers for their “shameful” treatment of players during quarantine prior to the Grand Slam event and lack of training due to strict restrictions contributed to his elimination from the first round

Benoit Paire blamed his time in quarantine in Australia for his first-round loss at the Australian OpenCredit: Getty Images

â ???? There was also a positive case on the flight to Adelaide, but they had time there to take blood samples. We were quarantined said Paire after losing in four sets to Egor Gerasimov from Belarus on Monday

Several leading players, including world number 1 Novak Djokovic, US Open champion Dominic Thiem and US American Serena Williams, had isolated in Adelaide instead of Melbourne before playing an exhibition event in late January

“I think it sucks and what happened is shameful” Paire told the French media on Monday I am very happy with my level but this tournament, I think it really sucks

â ???? There was also a positive case on the flight to Adelaide, but there they had time to take blood samples. We were quarantined

â ???? Either we do the same things and the same rules for everyone I don’t understand why it’s not fair for everyone I could have won this match if I had had another training session or two, normal preparationâ ????

The claims were denied by SA Health in mid-January, the government agency denied there was a positive infection in the Adelaide tennis cohort and repeated the rebuttal when contacted on Tuesday

“SA Health has confirmed that there is no one in the entire Adelaide-based tennis cohort who has an active COVID-19 infection,” it said in a statement

The 31-year-old said money was a big factor in hosting the Aug. until 21 February amid the COVID-19 pandemic

â ???? Most players think there is some money to be made and come for it

â ???? I also gamble for money But when you have to make so many sacrifices and things are going so badly you make it so problematic that at some point you just have to stopâ ????

Another player who was forced into a 14-day tough suspension instead of being allowed to practice daily, former champion Angelique Kerber, admitted building up to a modest 6-0, 6 defeat in Melbourne on opening day : 4 had contributed to Park

The 2016 winner said she couldn’t feel the rhythm against the American Bernarda Pera and would have to think twice about this trip to Down Under

â ???? I really tried to stay positive and get the best out of the two-week situation.But of course you feel it, especially when you play a real match where it matters and play the first matches in a Grand Slam, even against an opponent that does not remain in hard lockdown ?? Kerber said

Sports news, results and expert commentary will be delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for the Herald’s daily newsletter here and for The Age’s weekly newsletter here

Benoit Paire

World News – AU – Health officials reject Paire’s positive claims related to the Adelaide cohort

Source: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/paire-slams-australian-open-for-shameful-quarantine-treatment-20210209-p570ps.html