CONAKRY (Reuters) – Guinea is looking for people who may have had contact with Ebola patients and will bring vaccines to the affected area as possible after at least three deaths from the disease, Health Minister Remy Lamah said Monday

Lamah said that in contrast to the deadliest known outbreak that struck West Africa in 2013-2016, Guinea had the means to halt the virus’ resurgence

The Ebola virus causes severe bleeding and organ failure, and spreads through contact with body fluids

“In 2013 it took us months to understand that it was an Ebola epidemic and this time we were able to do analysis and get the results in less than four days. Our medical teams are trained and experienced. We have the means to quickly overcome this disease, “Lamah told Reuters

The World Health Organization (WHO) warned Monday that the outbreaks in Guinea and the Congo pose a regional risk

WHO representative in Guinea, Georges Ki-Zerbo, said he had asked for permission to receive as many vaccine doses as possible

He added that there were some restrictions on getting the vaccines into Guinea quickly, but authorities were working on the issues so that the vaccines could be available for a targeted vaccination campaign by next week

International organizations like the International Committee of the Red Cross, Medecins Sans Frontieres, and the medical charity ALIMA said they sent quick response teams to the region to help

During the 2013-2016 outbreak, 11300 people killed, mostly in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia The second deadliest known outbreak was reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo last year, but saw a resurgence this month

“It is hoped that this time, with new tools and the experience and knowledge gained, this may work better,” emphasized Ki-Zerbo, emphasizing the need to involve local communities and listen to them

The neighboring Sierra Leone has dispatched workers to monitor border crossing points in coordination with the Guinean authorities, said a spokesman for the Ministry of Health

The outbreak began after the funeral of a nurse who was buried in southeast Guinea in February 1 is believed to have had Ebola and seven people who attended her funeral tested positive for Ebola Three died, the authorities said

“What worries us most is how dangerous the disease is, given what we experienced five years ago. We don’t want to see such a situation again,” said Lamah

Coverage from Saliou Samb, additional coverage from Cooper Inveen and Nellie Peyton in Dakar; Letter from Bate Felix; Edited by Hereward Holland, Peter Graff, Timothy Heritage and Sonya Hepinstall

All offers were delayed by at least 15 minutes. For a full list of exchanges and delays, see

Ebola

World News – FI – Guinea tracks potential Ebola contacts and says it can overcome new outbreaks

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-ebola-guinea/guinea-tracks-potential-ebola-contacts-says-it-can-overcome-new-outbreak-idINKBN2AF0Y1