Police say a woman and young girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning in southwest Houston after a car was left in the garage.Try to generate heat if the power goes out

Motor vehicles fill the air around us with carbon monoxide, even though it is diluted when we breathe it

However, the colorless, tasteless and odorless vapors have proven particularly dangerous when inhaled in high concentrations, e.g. B. in a house

According to the US. At the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 430 Americans die from accidental CO poisoning each year, and the gas sends an estimated 50000 Americans to the emergency room

During power outages, many people unknowingly put themselves at risk by using portable generators, propane stoves, stoves, kerosene heaters, and lanterns

During this week’s polar vortex that left millions of Americans without electricity, Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, Texas treated at least 13 children with carbon monoxide poisoning

Symptoms of CO poisoning can vary and be unspecific. Although the gas is difficult to spot with our senses, the CDC wants you to be aware of these warning signs:

The CDC has also established measures you can take to protect yourself from high CO concentrations, e.g. B. installing a battery operated CO detector in your home

It should be placed in a place where it is likely to wake you up when activated

With regards to your vehicle, the CDC says you should never run the engine in a garage attached to your home – even with the garage door open

Have a mechanic check your car or truck’s exhaust system every year, according to the CDC

Carbon Monoxide

World News – United States – Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Know the Signs

Source: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-know-the-signs